Friday, August 19, 2011

Day 234: Celtic Knotwork

This is a birthday card I just made for one of my good friends (though her birthday isn't until the end of this month). It's hard to see the gleaming gold leaf in this picture, but I've decided I'm a big fan of liquid gold leaf!

This was a lot of fun to make, and I can't wait to start on my next illumination! If you're wondering, these are inspired by the illuminated manuscripts, which date back as far as the 5th century. They were originally done on vellum or parchment. Some of the most famous illuminated texts are the Lindisfarne Gospels and the Book of Kells, both Celtic Christian texts.

And I'm an expert on Celtic Christianity, if you didn't know. Well, maybe not quite, but I am a bit of an expert on thin places and sacred space.

1 comments:

riTa Koch said...

Beautiful.
So talented and learned ;)

Post a Comment