Monday, February 16, 2015

Day 47: Sunrise


When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence. ~ Ansel Adams

Sunrise at the Grand Canyon is incredible. Photos truly cannot do it justice, in part because photos rarely do a moment justice, and in part because sunrise is not a moment but an event.

Sunrise this morning was 7:14, and I arrived at the Grand Canyon at 6:30. Forty-five minutes before official sunrise time, the sky was already lightening. Slowly, the sky filled with colour. Ridges and crevices were lit, and then faded back into darkness until this moment when the sun cleared the horizon.

This was definitely worth my 4 am alarm and a dark drive through forests filled with deer and elk. Especially since I began the drive with a shooting star glinting across the sky in front of me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment