Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day 263: Heavy

I actually painted this little cross a couple of years ago. Each year around Easter, Highland gives us plain wooden crosses to decorate as we contemplate Jesus and his sacrifice.

Today I'm remembering this refrain in the midst of several ongoing tragedies at our church. We have two young children in our church (5 and 6 years old) who have been battling Leukemia for several years. Both children were in remission, but within the past month and a half, both relapsed. It is so difficult to watch precious young children struggle with such a devastating disease.

This morning, the mother of one of my brother's good friends passed away after a long bout with cancer. The children are my age and a little younger.

My heart is heavy, and I ask for prayers. That these children will be healed to the glory of God. That the peace of God surrounds their families, regardless of the outcome. And that Joel, his friend and her family are wrapped in God's comforting embrace.

And it's the last verse of How Great Thou Art that resounds on days like today.

When Christ shall come with shouts of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, my God, how great Thou art!

2 comments:

sara said...

praying for you and all your friends. Lifting them up right now.

...and singing that verse with you!! Oh the joy!

JoAnna said...

oh my goodness... :(
Praying with you...

Post a Comment