Thursday, September 15, 2011

Day 260: West Texas Fair and Rodeo

This evening we headed over to the fair grounds for some turkey legs, funnel cakes and bucking broncos. It's been several years since I've been to the fair, but we used to go every year. As kids, I would bake, sew and draw and enter things in the fair. I used to win too!

There's a joke around here that the fair always brings rain. We have such dry and hot summers, and then this largely outdoor event comes around and it rains. And tonight, of course, it rained! We all ducked for cover and kids avoided the rides, but we are so thankful for the rain!

After dinner came the PRCA rodeo (that's Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association, not the Protsestant Reformed Churches in America; if you Google it, you might get confused). My camera isn't great, and unfortunately this is the best picture I have from the rodeo. Ah well, you can still the see the power of that horse!! I always enjoy the rodeo, especially the barrel racing and bronc riding. And the steer roping and wrestling. And anything that involves a horse, really.

But as much as I love watching the horses, my favorite event might have been the mutton busting. Young children (around age 4-6), sit on the back of a sheep in a miniature chute. The door is opened, the sheep takes off running and the kid holds on for dear life. The kids with the best time wins. And let me tell you, it is absolutely hilarious!!

2 comments:

JoAnna said...

I still haven't ever been to a rodeo... :( Sounds fun though! I especially want to see those kids! ha!

sara said...

I used to go to the rodeo all the time as a kid. In fact, in Arizona there is a school holiday! Four days off for Rodeo Vacation!! I was shocked when I moved and no one else had that break! :)

Post a Comment