Monday, March 2, 2015

Day 61: Winter Winds


When winter winds are piercing chill,
And through the hawthorn blows the gale,
With solemn feet I tread the hill,
That overbrows the lonely vale...

Chill airs and wintry winds! my ear
Has grown familiar with your song; 
I hear it in the opening year,
I listen, and it cheers me long.

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Snowy trees. I just love 'em. After ten inches yesterday and over seven today, Flagstaff is once again a winter wonderland. A foot and a half of snow in two days; that's still hard for me to fathom.

I went on a walk this evening, and saw a bunch of people out on their cross-country skis. That certainly would have made things easier! The snow is beautiful, the world feels so quiet when sounds are muffled by a thick layer of fluffy white.

We closed early today, as did most businesses that were open (many were not in anticipation of the storm). Apparently Flagstaff has had 4.09 inches of liquid since Friday night, making this the 18th wettest consecutive three-day stretch since 1898. Warmer temperatures on Saturday and yesterday evening meant that a lot of this fell as rain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment