Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day 52: Pancake Day

Today is pancake day, better known as Shrove Tuesday in the church or Mardi Gras in New Orleans. It is the day before Lent begins, a time during which many give up bad habits. Traditionally in the UK (and many other countries), it is a day on which you get rid of things in your house before the Lenten fast (butter, sugar, eggs and milk). It thus became known as pancake day, which my family of course celebrates.

We also use this dinner as an opportunity to discuss what we are each giving up for Lent. I am giving up the computer, for the most part. I will still post on this blog, I will still use the internet for recipes and I will still check my email for acceptance letters from grad school.

What will I not be doing? Facebook. Reading other blogs. Wasting time looking up random things. Watching shows online. Etcetera.

0 comments:

Post a Comment